Common Mistakes

The IELTS test is a test of English accuracy. Although many people may be very conversant in daily life, the accuracy of their language often needs attention. In the IELTS test, a sentence with basic grammatical mistakes could be considered as example of inability by an examiner. This is especially true in the speaking test where candidates often forfeit accuracy for quantity in a bid to impress the examiner.

Although you should not worry unnecessarily about making sure your grammar is 100% perfect in every sentence you speak, awareness of basic mistakes people make will help you consider your choice of words. Here are a few mistakes examiners hear very often.

In each of the following pairs of sentences, one sentence is correct, and the other incorrect. Choose which you think is correct in each pair and then look at the answers to see if you were correct:


1.   a. I study about engineering.
      b. I study engineering 2.
     
2.   a. The movie was very funny.
      b. The movie was very fun.
     
3.   a. I went many places on my holiday.
      b. I went to everywhere on my holiday.
     
4.   a. I am exciting too much.
      b. I am very excited.
     
5.   a. Many temples beautiful.
      b. Many beautiful temples.
     
6.   a. Nowadays.
      b. Nowsaday.
     
7.   a. The government should improve public transport.
      b. Government should to improve public transports.
     
8.   a. I go to shopping everyday.
      b. I go shopping everyday
     
9.   a. I like playing computers.
      b. I like using computers.
     
10. a. I am not liking hot weather.
      b. I don't like hot weather.